Arma Design Studio (ADS) is a CAD (Design) and CAM (Manufacturing) application for industrial design and manufacturing.
ADS runds on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
Design Modeling Features (FREE):
Create concept and production model designs.
- File import/export supporting: .ads, .obj, .gcode, .dxf, .stl, .pdf.
- Modelling with tubes (Parametric and Direct - with coped joints, notched tabs and slots),
contoured mesh surfaces and curves, annotations, geometric shapes and more.
- Modeling tools with object mirroring, boolean operations, surface mesh conform, etc.
- Manage large complex scenes with object nesting, group / child visibility, searching, grouping.
- Layout modes for flat positioning individual parts on CNC tables and 3D printers.
Manufacturing 1 (Price: $95 - perpetual licence with updates for one year):
Manufactre Tube Designs, flat plate and simple surfaces.
- 2.5 Axis routing and 2 Axis CNC Plasma Table GCode.
- 3D Tube Notch GCode for cutting tube frame designs on CNC. Cope joints and intersections,
bend markers, holes, alignment tabs and slots.
- 3D Tube Bending PDF instructions for manual fabrication.
Manufacturing 2 (Price: $295 - Perpetual licence with updates for one year):
Automate effecient manufacturing of industrial scale Tube Designs, plate and complex surfaces.
- Includes Manufacturing 1 features.
- 3D tube bending GCode for CNC automation.
- Tube Notch Nesting (GCode and PDF) optimizes parts in projects to reduce material scrap.
- 3D Tube Notching export to pie cuts for manual welding of shapes a CNC bender can't produce.
- 5 Axis Routing GCode export. (Experimental)
- Invoicing PDF generator for estimates and cost calculation when selling your products.
Design Automation 1 (Price: $195 - Perpetual licence with one year of updates):
Automate compute workloads for complex designs and constraignts.
- 3D Tube Auto Routing for best fitment in constraigned spaces, equal length and short distance.
Good for custom exhaust and coolant lines.
- Chassis design algorithm optimises shape for structure, cost, weight, manufactuability.
- Body design algorythum optimises shape for airflow resistsnace, cost, weight, manufactuability.
- CFD Simulation. (Experimental)
Version 1.2.44 Nov 19, 2023
- Fix Arc Tube editor view buttons.
- Arc Tube Editor property fields for points will now update the model geometry when changed.
Version 1.2.43 Nov 18, 2023
- Improve quality and capability of Arc Tube Intersection Notching functionality.
Version 1.2.42 Nov 15, 2023
- Menu item opens folder with all export files for quick loading.
- Add Arc Tube notch feature automatic order feature.
- Automatically sort arc tube notch features when exporting GCode.
Version 1.2.41 Nov 14, 2023
- Fix Fabrication invoice PDF link.
- Fix save progress dialog for projects that save quickly.
- Properties load correctly in editor after selecting arc tube material.
- CFD updates using face intersection instead of bounds. Work in progress.
- Adding a Mesh flange tool. This feature is a work in progress.
Version 1.2.40 Nov 8, 2023
- Fix layout view reset function for curves and plates to GCode.
Version 1.2.39 Nov 6, 2023
- The object tree list now correctly restores the order of objects and folders when loading project files.
- Fix bug where the application would exit after closing an unsaved window while other windows were open.
- Coordinate axis indicator simplified to show each axis as the same size.
Version 1.2.38 Nov 4, 2023
- Upgrades to the Plate to GCode export system
- Add Solid object to edge line for GCode export shapes.
Version 1.2.37 Oct 29, 2023
- Updates to Arc Tube Numeric editor. Still prototype. Primary method for Arc Tube construction is with the mouse.
- Updates Basic Soft Body system on Arc Tubes.
- Improvements to Upgrade system.
Version 1.2.36 Oct 27, 2023
- Fix new material color button in color editor. Add new default colors and clean up UI.
- Update save prompt on close and fix bug on saving large files on closing.
Version 1.2.35 Oct 26, 2023
- Bug fix to Arc Tube Pie Cut GCode export.
- Pie Cut Tubes auto update when modifying tube geometry.
Version 1.2.34 Oct 24, 2023
- Bug fix when adding objects to a new scene.
Version 1.2.33 Oct 24, 2023
- Performance improvements to Arc Tube routing.
- Arc Tube export beta for Pie Cut routing supported.
Version 1.2.32 Oct 22, 2023
- New file version will load past versions but wont open in past versions of the application.
- Improvements to the Arc Tube Route function with better results and performance.
Version 1.2.31 Oct 1, 2023
- Tube Bend GCode option to minimize chuck rotation so that parts don't have to rotate more than 180 degrees when repositioning sequential bends.
- GCode plate cut exports ignore curves that are open ended and not actual plates meant to be cut.
- Move coordinate orientation indicator to the top right corner and adds color and more visual indicators.
Version 1.2.30 Sept 26, 2023
- Spline Mesh objects now will snap to the defined edges if the angle on an edge is sufficiently high.
This means that the surface of the mesh will still be smoothed as normal but if you pull a point along an edge beyond fifteen
degrees instead of smoothing the edge it will be pulled to the edge points. This is useful for modeling
panel structures where for example a vehicle wheel well curve will be smoothed but the transition from wheel well to body panel will be
crisp and accurate.
Version 1.2.29 Sept 25, 2023
- Bug fix to Arc Tube bend Gcode export when inverting the length.
Version 1.2.28 Sept 24, 2023
- Loads project files more appropriate inital zoom levels based on the contents.
- Beta version of tube export to CNC GCode as pie cuts. Tubes can be modeled and cut in full sections, folded and welded to shape.
- Close event correctly handled on some dialogs.
Version 1.2.27 Sept 21, 2023
- Updates to Arc Tube equal length optimization outine to fix bugs and include optimize segments for parallel orientation.
Version 1.2.26 Sept 15, 2023
- Update UI and controls for Spline Mesh Editor.
- Arc Tube reverse point order function.
- Arc Tube display shows point markers and more clear start point.
- OBJ import bug displays new objects in the list correctly.
- Arc Tube bend GCode export now has options to invert chuck rotation direction and disable bends for testing.
- Progress dialog for loading, saving and deleting points has a progress bar.
Version 1.2.25 Sept 10, 2023
- Adding view buttons to Curve and Arc Tube editor window.
Version 1.2.24 August 27, 2023
- Preliminary plate Kerf and inset/outset feature for plasma and router CNC tables.
- Bug fixes with GCode export positioning.
- Tube Nesting now writes seperate files for each material type.
Version 1.2.23 August 14, 2023
- Update the Arc Tube GCode export and bend markers to use a new calculation for die radius springback compensation.
This will allow fabricated parts to match the desired dimensions as the actual bend profile is not a perfect arc.
Version 1.2.22 August 10, 2023
- Triangle Mesh Outer Selection feature strips out inner tube points for use with the notch from selection feature.
- Add Tube Notch Nesting PDF for optimized length cuts and arrangement to reduce scrap. This function can't handle different material types yet.
Version 1.2.21 August 8, 2023
- Improvements to the Plate Cut GCode export features.
Version 1.2.20 August 5, 2023
- Updates to the Tri mesh editor window. New icons and quick access buttons for view direction.
Tube Notching now runs in a thread with a progress dialog. Some small percentage of notches take a long time
and this allows you to cancel an operation.
Version 1.2.19 August 4, 2023
- Mesh orientation feature levels 3D scan mesh objects to a plane by selting three points.
- Prototyping a tube to pie cut feature.
- App closes when all windows are closed bug fix.
- Tube routing with equal length optimizations.
Version 1.2.18 July 23, 2023
Fix bug in arc tube notch gcode export. Add support for middle mouse button rotation.
Starting on bent tube as notch pie cuts feature for design and manufacturing of exhaust manifolds without a bender.
Version 1.2.16 July 19, 2023
Minor cleanup and small feature updates.
Version 1.2.15 July 13, 2023
Critical bug fix to tube gcode export function that broke the file.
Version 1.2.14 July 6, 2023
Bug fix to Tube GCode exporting.
Version 1.2.13 June 26, 2023
This version includes a tube notch GCode nesting allocator to effeciently plan tube stock cuts and placement
of project parts to reduce waste scrap material.
Version 1.2.12 June 22, 2023
This release makes improvements to the Tube Notching function that generates cut profiles from edges on 3d mesh geometry
usually imported from other cad applications. The new routine is significantly better but still fails in a few edge cases.
Version 1.2.11 June 20, 2023
Bug fix in renderer displaying transparent objects correctly.
Bug fix on Arc tube gcode export on features with long spaces.
Work on web client WebGL interface features.
Version 1.2.10 May 30, 2023
Implement export unit settings that are seperate from scene units for cases where the CNC manufacturing tools use different units.
Version 1.2.9 May 23, 2023
Improvements to the Arc Tube notch and bend PDF documents to show notch detail and better layout.
Version 1.2.8 May 15, 2023
Arc Tube notch to GCode export now has a continuous mode by default that will generate a cutting path that cuts each notch
in one pass rather than stopping and rotating back to a single 0-360 degree region. This solves some bugs in the old routine
but maintains the old method as this new one is still being tested.
The tool icons have been updated to be more readable and clear.
Version 1.2.7 May 10, 2023
This release fixes bugs in the arc tube notch GCode export function which includes some missing notches in rare cases,
removes duplicates in some cases and
adds a notch order automatically if not allready set making for faster exports.
Version 1.2.6 May 9, 2023
Critical bug fix to arc tube bend GCode and PDF exports to correct rotation angles.
Version 1.2.5 April 29, 2023
Bug fix when mirroring arc tube objects in the editor window now correctly detects when a mirror plane should apply.
Update to material selection fabrication tool correctly applies material size given the units selected for the file.
Version 1.2.4 April 23, 2023
Modifying primitive objects in boolean structures now regenerate geometry on property change.
Version 1.2.3 April 23, 2023
Improvements to the mirror plane tool will now generate replicated curves, tubes and meshes when mirroring an object
or changing properties or physical material.
Triangle mesh editor window now loads full screen.
Version 1.2.2 April 22, 2023
Mirrored Arc Tubes are now shown in green while the source origional geometry remains blue. This makes it clear which objects need to be modified in mirrored projects.
Added a loading dialog to long running loading and saving operations.
Version 1.2.1 April 18, 2023
Upgraded Boolean modeling features which allow geometry primitives to be modified with union, intersection and subtraction of
other geometry by adding objects as children. Boolean objects can be positioned and changed to quickly build and modify solid objects.
Note: Complex geometry with many union objects may cause slow processing or geometry glitches.
Version 1.2.0 April 4, 2023
This is a compatibility update. Files created in older versions of ADS will open in this release but files created in this release
cannot be opened in past versions.
This release renders plate materials from closed curves to allow the design and manufacture of projects with plate materials.
This release includes some AOI plugins: Collada export, Solid geometry editor and SVG export.
Version 1.1.96 April 2, 2023
Implement a contoured selection highlight feature that makes it easier to identify which object you have selected in large complex scenes.
Improvements to the material selection tools for manufacturing.
Version 1.1.95 March 24, 2023
Fixes a bug in curves that use a mirror plane losing curvature after being modified.
Version 1.1.94 March 22, 2023
Imroves SplineMesh conform tool which only moves verts within the range of shortest adjacent edge.
Add SplineMesh editor detaure to equalize points in a mesh moving them to an equal spacing arrangement across an X or Y aligned selection.
Version 1.1.92 March 18, 2023
Fixed bug in curve and arc tube editor when selecting points.
Improved the tube to arc tube conversion function that now correctly generates structures over the full length with bend radius as well as outer and inner diameter.
Version 1.1.91 March 15, 2023
Fix Window sizing issues on Windows. Updates to fabrication pricing and invoicing features.
Version 1.1.90 March 11, 2023
This release fixes a critical bug on machines with no previous file history.
Button borders have been cleaned up.
Fabrication invoice and specification PDF document generation is in progress.
Version 1.1.89 March 5, 2023
Bug fix to Arc Tube GCode notch export feature on notch features close to small tube bends.
Adding FEA features including experimental cloth simulation on SplineMesh objects.
Version 1.1.88 March 4, 2023
Adding fabrication tools for designers to have their products made by Arma.
Added menu buttons for recent files, scene units and material selection.
Fix bug in curve selection on closed curves, expanded seceltion bounds for easier selection of small objects.
Version 1.1.87 February 28, 2023
Implemented a Arc Tube bend marker feature that puts a pin hole at the start and end of each bend
for alignment in CNC tube benders and for verification of manufactured parts. Once added markers will
automatically be positioned on the tube when modified.
Version 1.1.86 February 27, 2023
Fixed a bug in the Arc tube bend GCode export on the length, added units, removes bends with an angle less than .25 degrees.
Version 1.1.85 February 26, 2023
Fixed a bug in Arc Tube bending GCode and PDF exports. Editing most scene objects will now load the editing window
with the same scene view angle for a better user experience. Unit settings have been added to the files and will
be used for CNC machine integration.
Version 1.1.83 February 25, 2023
Critical bug fix in Arc Tube GCode export. This release fixes an offset calculation error that caused tube to be cut with incorrect dimensions.
Version 1.1.82 February 22, 2023
Implemented ArcTube notch rotate feature for alignment in Arma CNC Benders. Bug fix in object selection.
Version 1.1.81 February 21, 2023
Implemented Mirror Plane features on notches for replicated arc tubes.
Version 1.1.80 February 15, 2023
Bug fix in selection of curves, GCode exports on ArcTubes, Mirror plane replications and more.
Version 1.1.79 February 11, 2023
Fixed a bug in ArcTube notching GCode export. Rotation on each segment is not consistant as arc tubes are first unbent into one
straight tube before unrolling to GCode.
Version 1.1.78 January 28, 2023
Fixed a selection bug in perspective mode on mesh objects. For now the bounds region is used instead of the mesh surface instersection.
Version 1.1.76 January 20, 2023
Implement Curve and Arc mirroring using the Mirror Plane object as a child. Arc and curves would replicate one side to the other
and now they replicate seperately when the mirror is placed.
Version 1.1.75 January 9, 2023
Implement Tube Mesh to center line curve tool. Code cleanup and updated infographics.
Version 1.1.74 January 8, 2023
Implemented the 'Get Curve from Tube' feature that generates Arc tube objects based on 3D geometry imported from other CAD applications.
You can design your tube chassis, bumper, roof rack, etc in your favorite CAD application import an OBJ and the ADS tools for notching
and bending for manufaturing.
Version 1.1.73 December 18, 2022
Bug fixes prevent objects from being added to lights and cameras by default as well as a bounds calculation bug when rotating around lights and cameras.
Version 1.1.72 December 17, 2022
Bug fixes to the selection resize tool, CFD dialog and added Online Help link.
Version 1.1.71 December 16, 2022
Cosmetic updates to the scene borders with a lighter shading and selection color.
Version 1.1.70 December 11, 2022
Selection improvements only pick objects with mesh or curves close to click location instead of bounding box. Add correct curve profile to arc tubing
Version 1.1.61 October 26, 2022
Add sound indicators, menu cleanup, tools add some objects as children of a selection, Obj import/export scale bug fix, selection performance improvement, add select all curve function, add manual tube bend PDF instruction export, Mac OSX scroll bug fix, and more.
Version 1.1.49 July 12, 2022
Fixes to Arc tube modeling, notching on angles with bend and notch GCode exporting.
Added CSV curve exporting for importing in Fusion 360.
Version 1.1.37 February 23, 2022
Improvements to Arc tube notching, tabbing and slot generation code.
Version 1.1.35 February 10, 2022
Bug Fixes, Mirroring tool updates for mesh and arc tube objects.
Version 1.1.28 January 17 2022
Improvements to Spline Mesh mirroring and CFD which is only in prototyping stage.
Version 1.1.27 January 14 2022
Introduces mirror plane support for spline mesh objects. Adding a mirror plane object as a shild to a spline mesh object will
cause it to be replicated beyond the mirror plane.
Version 1.1.26 January 11 2022
Beta version of auto tab and slot when editing notch curves. Select the points in a notch curve and the new tab slot tool, use the arrow
keys to move the points into the intersecting arc tube and an auto generated slot will be added.
Version 1.1.25 January 7 2022
Beta version of Arc Tube notching GCode export feature is now usable. Model arc tubes that intersect with each other
then select the arc object you want to create a coping notch and select the menu item.
Version 1.1.22 December 28 2021
Improvements to the arc tube auto notch feature. Notching is now beta quality and usable for most intersections.
Version 1.1.20 December 27 2021
Bug fix realease, addresses tool selection bug when switching view modes perspective, parallel, one view and four vies.
Also has preliminary work starting on 5-Axis functions for routing and printing.
Version 1.1.19 December 24 2021
Preliminary implementation of mirror plane tool that copies one side of an arc or curve object so that they are symetrical.
Improvements to the auto notch arc tube feature but more work is needed.
Version 1.1.17 December 10 2021
Improvements to Arc Tube Bend and Notch GCode export as well as object and scene information including
total length, weight and cost of tubing.
Version 1.1.14 November 29 2021
Dimension tools now support 2 points in addition to the previous 3. Two points are good for quick dimensioning and three point are better for printing.
Arc tubes now show a transparent tube given a diameter and arc radius. The bends are not connected but illustrated by segments.
Version 1.1.13 November 22 2021
This release adds a new arc based curve tool and CNC tube bender export feature. Tubes can be modeled
with a curve and a specified bender die radius and tube diameter and the exported GCode will calculate
the advance offsets, arc circumfrance, and rotation angles.
This version still uses an old Tube Notch GCode export that is not compatible with the arc tube profiles and
still requires straight tubes aligned to the X axis.
Selecting large sets of objects in scenes will now display a progress bar to indicate how long the operation will take.
Eventually this will be multithreaded for better performance.
The primary core feature set focus is currently on surface meshing, tube notching, tube bending and CNC exporting.
The following are a few features being considered for future releases. Your feedback is important to prioritize future development.
Finite Element Analysis
A FEA implementation would be useful with physical comparison for approxamite structural design and optimization.
The goal of an integrated implementation would be to iterate on designs and use third party FEA solutions for final analysis.
Computational Fluid Dynamics
A CFD implementation would be usedfull for iteration on aerodynamic design projects with approxamite results and final
designs to be run against third party solutions for more accuracy.
A feature to generate physical object designs with constraignts measured by a human and eloved over iterations
to learn to design components is being evaluated.